Lorch was founded on the site of a former Roman fort on the “Limesknie”, near the intersection point of the Upper Germanic and the Raetian Limes. The Lorch Monastery (Kloster Lorch) was donated as a burial place for the Staufer dynasty in 1102. The monastery is open year-round. In summer there are various events (www.kloster-lorch.com).
Former Benedictine Monastery, circular image of the Staufer dynasty in the chapter house of the monastery, historically themed walk in the city centre, Gedankengang walk from the city centre to the monastery, geographical centre of the Rems river in Lorch-Waldhausen.
So-called watchtower 12/22, which is actually the small fort Kleindeinbach, the ground plan of which can be traced in the terrain as a slight earthwork entrenchment. It is similar to the small fort Rötelsee. The fort played an important part in the surveillance at the border between the Roman provinces of Upper Germany and Raetia.
Visible: foundations of the northern tower of the west gate in the yard of the Protestant parish house. Southernmost base of the Upper German Limes on the thoroughfare from Bad Cannstatt through the Remstal to Raetia.
A few metres east of the small fort Kleindeinbach is a prominent landmark of the Limes: starting point of the Raetian Wall (the Limes was marked by a stone wall in the region of the province of Raetia from the beginning of the 3rd century onwards, a development which is not detectable for the province of Upper Germania). Foundations of the wall have been restored, the further continuation of the wall to the east is clearly visible in the form of a flat rampart.
At WP 12/14, this wooden tower reconstruction provides a wide-ranging view over the landscape of the area. It is one of the most striking locations on the Upper German and Raetian Limes.