bitte warten
Menü fixierenMenü lösen


  • Aerial View of Buchen City Centre


  • View from Buchen Watchtower


  • Buchen City Centre
    © Stadt Buchen


  • View of the Morretal
    © Stadt Buchen


  • Buchen District Museum
    © Stadt Buchen


Buchen in the Odenwald

The beautiful town of Buchen in the Odenwald lies (geologically speaking) at the transition from the red red sandstone to the white shell limestone and surprises with two very differently shaped landscapes. The town of Buchen (Odenwald) is surrounded by romantic forests and wonderfully flowery meadow valleys with murmuring streams. Recreation for body and soul!

We invite you to take a lively stroll through Buchen's historic city centre. Memories of important personalities, evidence of old folk beliefs and amusing anecdotes tell our visitors a varied and exciting town history. As part of a guided tour, it is also possible to climb the Buchen town tower. From the artistically painted historic turret room, the view sweeps out from the old town to the expanse of the surrounding Odenwald.

Hiking in Buchen

The Hercules Trail is a 14 km long circular trail near Buchen (Odenwald). The starting point is the forester's lodge in Hettingen. Along the way, geological, historical and scenic sights alternate. The geological highlights include the sinkhole path and the calcite stone. The former Hönehaus small fort, watchtower remains and a palisade replica are impressive stops directly along the trail, which runs along the Upper Germanic-Raetian Limes and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Hercules Trail is one of 6 designated Roman trails in the Neckartal-Odenwald district. The Roman paths are certified as quality paths by the German Hiking Association and offer an active and fascinating insight into the life of the Romans in the local area with information boards of the Neckartal-Odenwald Nature Park, Roman monuments and installations as well as comfortable resting benches. Other cultural sights also cross one path or another.

Buchen District Museum

The Buchen District Museum is housed in two buildings of the former Electoral-Mainzian Amtskellerei, the "Steinernen Bau" (1493) and the "Trunzerhaus".

Its supporting association was founded in 1911, the exhibition rooms in the "Steinernen Bau" were furnished and equipped in 1915 and 1929, and in the "Trunzerhaus" in 1986. The museum is one of the richest folklore collections in Baden-Franconia.

The "Steinernen Bau" displays stylishly furnished rural and middle-class parlours with some interesting "Baier cupboards" typical of the Odenwald, as well as clothing and Odenwald traditional costumes and a toy collection. The upper floor is usually used for special exhibitions, occasionally also for parts of the rich collection of paintings and graphics of the "Hollerbacher Malerkolonie" (Wilhelm Guntermann, Arthur Grimm, Franz Wallischek and others), as well as for works by Wilhelm Emelé, Ludwig Schwerin, Wilhelm Schnarrenberger and Anselm Kiefer.

Opening hours: Sundays from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
In addition to the opening hours, visits and guided tours are also possible by prior arrangement (phone +496281/8898).
Address: Haagstraße 10, 74722 Buchen

+496281 / 55 68 98

Eberstadt Dripstone Cave

The Eberstadt Dripstone Cave is unique in southern Germany. The impressions left by the stalactite cave with its wealth of forms remain unforgettable for every visitor.

You can get from the car park to the modern visitor centre, where you can get comprehensive information in sound and vision, without having to take a single step. Through a short passage with crystalline exhibits you reach the 600-metre-long cave; its width varies between 2 and 7 metres, the height between 2.5 and 8 metres. Inside the cave, the temperature is a constant 11 degrees, the humidity about 95%.

Visits to the Eberstadt Dripstone Cave are only possible as part of a guided tour.

Opening hours; March to the end of October:
daily 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. (March/April & Sept./Oct. Monday day off).
November to end of Feb:
Saturday/Sunday/holiday 1pm - 4pm.

Address: Höhlenweg 8
74722 Buchen-Eberstadt

If you have any questions, please feel free to call:
Tourist-Information Buchen, phone & WhatsApp +496281 2780 or Visitor Centre at the Dripstone Cave, phone +496292 578.

Roman Sights

The Limes runs through the town of Buchen almost in a north-south direction and touches the districts of Hettingen, Rinschheim and Götzingen. These parts of Buchen contain remains of the ancient border fortifications, such as the "Hönehaus" small fort. To the north and south of the small fort, there are also three restored tower sites.


Small Fort Hönehaus

The small fort "Hönehaus" was built around 150 AD and abandoned in about 260 AD. The location of the two-port, 46 x 40 metre small fort offered great advantages in securing the flank of the numerus fort "Alteburg" near Walldürn. The high position provided a good view of the foreland of the Limes, but was far from a water point. The water supply for the fort garrison in the event of defence was certainly not easy to manage.

During the excavations in 1968/69, a stone votive hut was found which a certain Quintinius Lector, a freedman, i.e. a former slave, dedicated as a consecration to the deities who were responsible for the fortunate coincidences.


Watchtower WP 8/2

The remains of the watchtower had been uncovered and conserved by the Reichslimeskommission a few years before 1900. In 1970, further conservation became necessary. In addition to the expected pottery shards, a gilt and silver-plated crossbow hinge brooch made of iron was found. The watchtowers, about 5x5 metres square and 10-12 metres high, stood about 20 metres behind the closed palisade wall, of which only remains are stuck in the ground today.


Watchtower WP 8/1

This Roman watchtower is located in a topographically prominent position. From here, a line of sight to the Mainhardt Forest at a distance of about 60 km is possible.

This site at watchtower 8/1 must have served as one of the main survey points of the longest straight-line section in the area of the Upper Germanic-Rhaetian Limes. The work must have been carried out soon after 150 AD. The line was marked out by taking bearings and aligning high points on mountains and hilltops on which wooden scaffolds had been erected. This was certainly a difficult undertaking in the densely forested country, which was also criss-crossed by impassable valleys with their streams and rivers - and would still be a challenge today in logistical and technical terms. After its construction, watchtower 8/1 must have been a signal station of great importance because of the wide line of sight to the towers in the south and north. This completely arbitrary boundary documents an enormous will to design. Towards the Germanic populations on the other side of the line, it was certainly a demonstration of Roman power and technical superiority.


Platz am Bild 2
74722 Buchen (Odenwald)

Tel: +49 (0) 62 81 / 27 80 oder 31-0
Fax +49 (0) 62 81 / 27 32