The municipality is not far from the Dennenloher Lake between the Hesselberg in the west and the Franconian Lake District in the east. Its first documentary reference dates from 1053. The Celts and the Romans left visible traces in the fields surrounding Unterschwaningen. There was a Roman wooden fort in Unterschwaningen as early as 90 A.D. The Limes crosses the municipality over a distance of about 2.5 km with numerous visible archaeological monuments, such as a reconstructed section of the Limes wall, the site of a watchtower, fort Dambach with arena and vicus. The heyday of this municipality was in the 18th century when the countesses of Brandenburg-Ansbach had their summer residence there.
Impressive former baroque court church, remains of the margrave castle as well as the rhododendron park at Castle Dennenlohe.
Tel. +49 (0) 98 36 / 97 07-20
Fax +49 (0) 98 36 / 97 07-23
Gästeführerteam Walter Oberhäußer
Tel. +49 (0) 9836/434