Lorch was founded on the site of a former Roman fort on the “Limesknie”, near the intersection point of the Upper German and the Raetian Limes. The Lorch Monastery (Kloster Lorch) was donated as a burial place for the “Staufer” in 1102. Monastery-concerts in summer.
Former Benedictine Monastery.
Worth seeing are the monastery buildings and the circular image of the “Staufer” in the chapter house of the monastery.
Historically themed walks in the city centre.
Small fort Kleindeinbach west of the Rotenbachtal. Flat debris rampart of the defence wall visible in the forest, similar to the small fort Rötelsee. The fort with an area of almost 600 m2 played an important part in the surveillance of the Limes at the border between the Roman provinces of Upper Germany and Raetia.
Fort in the middle of the town overbuilt to a large extent.
Southernmost base of the Upper German Limes on the thoroughfare from Bad Cannstatt through the Remstal to Raetia. Visible: foundations of the northern tower of the west gate in the yard of the “evangelische Gemeindehaus” (protestant parish hall).
A few metres east of the small fort Kleindeinbach is a prominent landmark of the Limes: starting point of the Raetian Wall (the Limes was marked by a stone wall in the region of the province of Raetia from the beginning of the 3rd century onwards). Moat and rampart were built at the same time in the province of Upper Germany. Foundations of the wall have been restored after excavation, further continuation of the wall in the form of a flat rampart.
At WP 12/14, this wooden tower reconstruction provides a wide-ranging view over the landscape of the area. It is one of the most striking locations on the Upper German and Raetian Limes.