Hammersbach was founded in 1970 by the merger of the municipalities Langenbergheim and Marköbel. The municipality is embedded in the densely wooded landscape between Ronneburger Hügelland and southerly Wetterau.
Archaeological finds in the municipal area range from the Neolithic Age to the Hallstatt period and the Celtic Latène Age; former cohort fort.
Historical town hall in Marköbel (1686), “Oberund Untertor” (gates) with parts of the Medieval defence wall, restored Antonites-Chapel in Hirzbach.
A partly mounted unit, responsible for protecting different routes, was stationed at Fort Marköbel in the middle of the town centre.
A short section of the fort wall can be seen at the cemetery and the floor layout of the fort bath-house is marked by stones at the church. A reconstruction of the palisade is located at the Kresbach not far from the Limes.