At the crossroads of old trading routes between Spessart and Odenwald at the western Mainviereck, where Mümling and Elsava flow into the Main. The Romans erected a cohort and numerus fort about 100 A.D. The Archbishop of Mainz, Peter von Aspelt, declared Obernburg a city in 1313.
Historic centre with Almosen-, Hexen-, Täschen-, Gumpen- and Rundem Turm (tower), Oberes and Unteres Tor (gate), St. Anna-Chapel.
Roman museum with finds from the Roman fort.
2.5 km south of the town on the B 469 are the only visible watchtower remains of the Main Limes in the Woods.
The cohort fort with an area of almost 3 hectares is located under today’s town centre. South of the garrison was a beneficiary station.
Consecration stones of the special representatives stationed there and other numerous finds from the fort are exhibited in the Römermuseum in Obernburg.
Tel.: 06022 5209
63785 Obernburg a.Main
Tel.: 06022 6523001