Lying in a sunny valley below the dark Taunus woods, close to the A 3 motorway between Wiesbaden and Frankfurt. Idstein’s old town (city rights since 1287) inspires its visitors with nearly 200 beautiful half-timbered houses from five centuries. Until 1721, Idstein was the royal seat of the counts and princes of Nassau-Idstein.
Course of the Roman fortification wall “Limes” with a reconstructed watch-tower 3/26 at the L 3026, the “Witches Tower” (point of reference of the town), the Palace with Palace Garden, the Killingerhaus with museum, the Gatehouse, the “Crooked House” and the nationwide known Protestant Union Church with its beautiful 38 canvas paintings on the ceiling. Numerous leisure activities like swimming, golfing, climbing and several event highlights like the Idstein JazzFestival and the atmospheric Christmas Market.
The reconstruction of the Roman WP 3/26 can be found at the L 3026 on the Dasbacher Höhe at the Limes-line between Idstein and Niedernhausen.In the district Heftrich is Fort Alteburg-Heftrich, a numerus fort with an area of about 1 hectare. The Alteburger Market takes place east of the fort area – above the Roman vicus – three times a year. This is a national farmers’ and livestock market with a centuries-old tradition. The old tree population in the market area is an impressive natural monument.