Deutsche Limes-Straße

Schwäbisch Gmünd

  • Römerbad Schirenhof
  • Am Limes grenzenlos
  • Rotenbachtal Provinzgrenze
  • The meeting of the Upper Germanic and Raetian Limes in the border region

    The Remstal valley was, from 160AD until 260AD, the outermost border of the Roman Empire. On the northern slope of the valley runs the Limes. The area around Schwäbisch Gmünd was controlled by 1500 soldiers, who were organised in cohorts and stationed in Schwäbisch Gmünd. On the western hillside of the Rotenbach valley, on the inner border between the Roman provinces of Upper Germania and Raetia, a noticeable change in the construction is visible. Here the Raetian wall and rampart meet the Upper Germanic palisade fence. The reconstruction of the inner border can be seen in the Rotenbachtal. The Raetian part of the Limes was controlled by the infantry fort at Freimühle just along the provincial border. Directly below the fort runs the most important military road through the Remstal valley, coming from Lorch and crossing the river at the level of the Schirenhof fort.

    Sights

    Medieval town centre with late Gothic Johannis-Church, Heilig-Kreuz-Minster, Augustinus- Church, Franziskaner-Church, silverware factory Otto Pauser. Museum in the “Prediger”

  • Karte - Schwäbisch-Gmünd
  • Archeological circular walk

    Along this walk the visitor can experience this unique border situation. The walk takes approximately three hours, and the monuments of the western Raetian cohort fort of Schirenhof Schierenhof and the Rotenbachtal valley can also be explored. The signpost with the Roman helmet leads you on your trip from Schirenhof to the Rotenbachtal. Parking is available at Schirenhof as well as at the entrance to the Rotenbachtal.

  • Limes information centre

    Special attention deserves to be paid to the Limes information centre at the entrance to the Rotenbachtal valley. In the information pavilion you can find a model of the landscape which provides information about living and working in Roman times along the Limes. Through information panels and the models of the forts, you can gain an insight into the Roman past of Schwäbisch Gmünd. The reconstruction of a Roman milestone highlights the distance between Schwäbisch Gmünd and important towns in the Roman Empire. About 900 metres from the information pavilion, on the western hillside above the Rotenbach stream, lies the beginning of the stone Limes in Raetia, still easily discernible.

     

     

  • Cohort fort Schirenhof and fort bath Schirenhof

    Kohortenkastell - Modell

    Cohort fort Schirenhof: the remains of a Roman cohort fort are hidden underneath the meadow of the Schirenhof at the northern end of an elevated tongue of land which protrudes into the Rems valley. The fort was built in the middle of the 2nd century A.D. and left towards the middle of the 3rd century. Visible: foundation walls of the completely excavated bath house of the Fort Schirenhof; not far from the location of the fort’s bath house, which can be looked at through a Plexiglas pane. Museum in the “Prediger”, Johannesplatz: finds from the fort and bath house. Relief of a nymph of the spring.

  • Museum in the Prediger

    Museum im Prediger

    Museum in the “Prediger”, Johannesplatz: finds from the fort and
    bath house. Relief of a nymph of the spring.


    Adress: Museum in the Prediger
    Johannisplatz 3, 73525 Schwäbisch Gmünd, Telefon +49 (0) 7171-603 4130.

  • Small fort Freimühle

    Kleinkastell Freimühle - Modell

    The fort of Freimühle is located on the hilltop in the Vogelhau forest. The fort was the westerly troop station in the province of Raetia. The 55m x 55m fort was examined by the Reichslimeskommision in 1902. A trapezoidal turret at the corner of the fort and simple gates in the east and west sides were uncovered. Approximately 50m south east from the fort was a bath house. The fort had strategic importance, as it was located near the provincial border as well as the Roman military road through the Remstal valley. Special attention should be given to the Limes information centre at the entrance to the Rotenbachtal valley near the Freimühle fort. An information pavilion with a model of the landscape provides information about living and working in Roman times along the Limes. Close to the pavilion is a reconstruction of the different types of border fortification of the Roman provinces of Upper Germania and Raetia, with wooden palisade fence and rampart and ditch. The Raetian frontier is also known here as the Devil’s Wall. The information panels give an insight into the Roman past of Schwäbisch Gmünd. The reconstruction of a Roman milestone highlights the distance between Schwäbisch Gmünd and important towns in the Roman Empire.

  • Small fort Kleindeinbach

    A few metres east of the small fort Kleindeinbach is a prominent landmark of the Limes: starting point of the Raetian Wall (the Limes was marked by a stone wall in the region of the province of Raetia from the beginning of the 3rd century onwards). Moat and rampart were built at the same time in the province of Upper Germany. Foundations of the wall have been restored after excavation, further continuation of the wall in the form of a flat rampart.

    Schirenhof Roman fort bathhouse

    The structure of the fort at Schirenhof changed and extended several times during the Roman period. In 1975 the town of Schwäbisch Gmünd decided to reconstruct the foundations of the fort, and opened it to the public.It was rebuilt from scratch in 1999.

    Touristinfo

    i-Punkt Schwäbisch Gmünd
    Marktplatz 37/1
    73525 Schwäbisch Gmünd

    Tel.  +49 (0) 71 71 / 603 4250

    Opens window for sending email tourist-info@schwaebisch-gmuend.de
    Opens external link in new window www.schwaebisch-gmuend.de

Brochures and Information   |   Accommodation   |   Campground   |   Member Locations   |     Limes Information Centres   |   Contact

 

Verein Deutsche Limes-Straße e.V. • Marktplatz 30 • 73430 Aalen • Tel. 07361 / 52 1159 • limesstrasse@aalen.deImpressumDatenschutz
FERIENSTRASSEN.INFO